Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Beating of a Heart

I had my 12-week appointment a few days ago, and I got to hear my little one's heartbeat for the first time via Doppler. The nurse tried first, way down by my public bone. She did find the heartbeat, but it was mixed in with mine and somewhat hard to distinguish. She was confident of it, but I was less so.

So when Dr. F came in and asked if I had any concerns, I told him, "just that I didn't get a good listen to the heartbeat." He told me that they wanted me to leave feeling reassured, so lets just try again! And he ran and got the Doppler and gave it another go. ((Love him!))

This time, he tried further up. And it took a second to find it still. But when he found it, it was nice and strong! Mama was at last reassured. :) Huge sigh. 

Pregnancy is so disconcerting because it's all so dang mysterious! You don't know that anything's wrong until it's too late- and mostly you just know nothing! Nine months is a long time to be in the dark. Hopefully I'll start feeling the baby move consistently in the near future, and I'll be able to rely on that. Until then, I will listen and re-listen to this silly clip and try to think happy thoughts. 

Baby, I cannot wait to meet you!


PS. The heart rate was in the 150s, the nurse said. And my weight... well, it almost was! :)


148.2

4 comments:

  1. ugh! i wish i was only 148!! seriously--you are tiny compared to me!! and yay for baby heartbeat! so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tori! Did the video work for you? It doesn't work from my phone, and I haven't tried on the comp yet.

      Delete
    2. it didn't work when I first read this on my phone...but I am on the computer right now, and I heard it! Yay! :)

      Delete