Monday, August 12, 2013

Nineteen Weeks and the Case of the Missing Husband

I forgot to take a belly shot this week. Things were just too crazy. Derek was gone to California for work, and the kids and I were on our own. I tell ya what, single parenting is hard!! I was exhausted from the strain of doing it all myself, though I actually surprised myself with my competence. The hardest part was once the kids were down. Basically I bawled every night. :( So maybe single parenting wasn't the problem; it was just having my lover/husband/partner/best-friend far away. I seriously had a hole in my heart all week. I need him way too much.

The kids had a rough go of it, too. Both of them were more emotional and whiney, and they didn't sleep worth crap. Regardless of my feigned perkiness while they were awake, they could tell something was wrong. "Why isn't Daddy home yet? Five days is way too long!" and "My miss Dada." Heartbreaking. We missed our main man.

Something that helped was that several of our friends and family did a great job of distracting and entertaining us. On Sunday (possibly the hardest day; he'd left that morning crazy early) I took the kids to church (by myself! I know!) and home for naps. Then afterward Julie took us out to eat. Yummy, much easier than cooking, and it was a welcome distraction from sitting at home missing Daddy.

On Monday, Polly (who was in Utah visiting her dad) asked if we could meet in Brigham for lunch. It was a stretch for me, as I pretty much never drive out of the valley, but it ended up being easy and delicious and fun. The picture is from this outing; it's a decent shot of my ever-expanding belly. 


I still worked on Tuesday and Thursday, which really helped to lift my spirits and keep our routine. My mom watched the kids those nights and put them to bed for me. It was a huge help to me, tons of fun for the kids, and a definite sacrifice on her part. I am so grateful.

Wednesday night, the neighborhood girls (moms, we're old now) got together here for a girls' night. It was so sweet that they did that and seriously helped me perk up. I seriously love those girls! If I could live by them for the rest of forever, I would be so happy. They're amazing friends and have great families. Our kids all play so well together. Anyone know of a subdivision for sale? We all need a plot!

Soon enough, it was Friday! I cleaned the house until it sparkled, went to the store, bathed the kids, and put them to bed. For the first time all week, the kids slept soundly. I think they knew things were right in the world now that Daddy was coming home. Once the kids were down, I ran through the house quickly fixing any lose ends, powdered my nose, reapplied lip gloss and waited impatiently at the window. I could have thrown up I was so excited.

And then he was home. And my soul was finally at peace. ((Deep breath)) He is never allowed to leave us again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment